Thursday, July 1, 2010

Detox at the Dowdy's ~

I should have known that it was going to be bad, but I did not even think about it! I am having a TIME with Mary Dalton since we have been back from MS at bed time! They usually go to bed no later than 8 during school, but this summer we let them stay up later ~ too late the past few weeks with all the traveling that we have been doing.

The first night we were here, she cried and cried at bedtime and she was SUPER over tired so I let her make a pallet on the floor in my room just so I could sleep since I had been up since 3:45! Last night, we went to the cabin, so she got to fall asleep watching TV and she slept with Jackson. Tonight, Jackson went to bed with no problem, then I read her 2 stories, said prayers, and the tears started flowing...and she can't tell me why!!! I know it is because she is not getting enough sleep, but this HAS to stop.

So, for the "detox" plan ~ Mary Dalton will be put to bed every night at 8. No matter what. We did this when she was a baby (except it was 70) and the consistency helped sooo much! If she cries, the hall light will be cut off. She still has a night light in her room. If she does not cry, the light will stay on. This is soooo not going to to be fun for us because the second part of the plan is that she has to be in HER bed. So, for the next week or two, no coast or cabin. I feel like it will only take a few days, but you can never tell...she is WAY complicated in case you have not picked up on that!

I did not feel like having a 2 hour discussion with her tonight, but this will be addressed in the morning and Dalton and I will have to decided on reward/consequences for her behavior at bedtime. Just typing all this makes me tired.....please child......go to sleep!!! ;)

3 comments:

theglenns556 said...

Somewhere, right now, Barbara Tuttle's heart is breaking!

Barbara said...

You are right, my heart is breaking. Be gentle!!!

Amber said...

Ha! you are probably right, but it is not just Nana's fault...Aunt sue-anna is to blame too! ;) They are too much fun!

Blog Archive