Wednesday, May 8, 2013

There Was a Little Boy Who Swallowed a Sponge....

Last week ~ exactly at bedtime ~ (because THAT is the time that EVERYTHING that can go wrong DOES go wrong!) Jackson walked in my room and said, "I swallowed a sponge."
My first thought was the kitchen sponge and I thought of ALL the bacteria and possible aliments that could come from swallowing a kitchen sponge! Then...I wondered HOW he swallowed a sponge that big...surely he did not take a bite of a sponge....surely not....I was beginning to think he was truly gifted and now he is eating a kitchen sponge?!?!
 
I tried to remain calm...and did...because this little man has had LOTS of "freak" injuries/illnesses....
I asked him what sponge and he says ~
"You know those little kind that look like pills and when you put them in water they pop out an animal? That kind."
I swear he was like, "yeah I did it, no big deal" ~
I asked him to show me the package...he did.
"Safari Animals" ~ at least he picked the most exotic....
 
So I do what ALL good moms do ~ save that $30 copay and google the mess out of it! And of course I got the news that
1.) the capsule would pass right along the GI system and it would reappear in a few days...
(and I wondered if it would be capsule or a sponge???)
2.) It would pop open from his body temp and the sponge would become lodged in his stomach and he would have a blockage and need surgery
OR
3.) It would attach to his stomach OR possibly intestines, cause an infection and he would die.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Still calm...no panic....
Decided to call the company because SURELY somewhere some other gifted child thought it would be an extremely good idea to swallow a sponge capsule!
Well, obviously I was wrong! There was not a phone number OR any "Warnings" about swallowing a capsule anywhere on the package! (But yet a curling iron comes with the warning not to insert into any orifice on the body! ~ REALLY!?!?)
 
Dalton got the idea to call a close family member who is a Dr and get REAL advice, while I texted our sweet pediatrician...
Hugh told us that it would pass, not to worry...
Our pediatrician had never heard of such and called a surgeon...who INSISTED we bring him in first thing the next morning for an upper AND lower scan....
The entire time Jackson remained "cool" ~ almost too cool...we started questioning him and keep in him that Dalton cross examines clients OFTEN ~ the boy was going down with the ship...his story wasn't matching up to the original and we still are not 100% if he was telling the truth or making up a lie, ahem....story.
 
LONG story made short...I told him if he swallowed the sponge and he told me NOW that we could fix it, if he swallowed it and did not tell me he would have a colostomy bag, at least 10 shots and surgery....he SAYS he did not swallow it, he just THOUGHT about swallowing it to see what would happen...
We did NOT go to the Dr. He DID get punished for telling a story and for causing us to worry...
We took ALL electronics and he wanted to know when he could have his ipad back....I told him when the gazelle showed up in his poop he could have it back....
 
I called the Dr. and told her we thought he was telling a story and she said to watch for ANY vomitting/stomach pain/etc. Thankfully he has had no side effects from the incident....if there even WAS an incident!
 
He takes his punishment like a champ and goes right to bed...Mary Dalton was  SO worried about the colostomy bag that SHE threw up three times after he went to bed!
 
NEVER a dull moment at our house...that one thing is CERTAIN!!!!
 
 

No comments:

Blog Archive